[VTK ARB] git checkouts

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 01:37:52 EDT 2010

Hi All,
Following up on our April meeting.

I have been following the "New git commit hooks" thread and decided to
checkout the git repositories for vtk and ParaView using the
instructions in the wikis.

The VTK instructions in (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git) are very easy
to follow and very clear. I like the comment "All further commands work
inside the local copy of the repository created by the clone:" this
makes it really clear to novice users.

For ParaView (http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Git),  whoever wrote
this has captured the additional complexity of using submodules very
clearly. One tiny thing that I can suggest is to put in a comment like
in the vtk one metioning that the following instructions should be done
in the ParaView repository. Also there are two Submodules headings (1.3)
and (2) which confused me a little because I didn't look at the contents
section.

Once again congratulations to the people (Brad et. al.) who wrote these
instructions.

I haven committed anything and I haven't tried these instructions in
Windows but I see no problems there.

Regards
  Andrew