[VTK ARB] Git

Wylie, Brian bnwylie at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 2 15:32:45 EST 2009

Hi All,

Sorry to come in late on the Git topic (I've been out of the country for a few weeks).

Sandia has a few fans of mercurial, and I haven't seen it mentioned at all. Sandia has quite a few active VTK developers (about 1/3 on windows), so we would like to see those people supported by whatever decision gets made. Also we're having "issues" with github, we are currently tracking these down but are having a much more positive experience with bitbucket (equiv site for mercurial).

Here's a link that folks may already know about done by the folks at Google code. One thing to note here is that  HTTP transport will be critically important to "lab folks" who have firewall issues (mercurial seems to be better in this regard, although I'm sure git is worked on this...)

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DVCSAnalysis

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2008/8/3/2795094/thread (http post)

  Brian Wylie - Org 1424
  Sandia National Laboratories