From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
- Add support for arbitrary polyhedral cell (manifold, watertight, may be concave)
- Develop smooth interpolation functions for polyhedron
- Create filters, examples and testing infrastructure supporting this technology
- Application goal: support CFD solvers (finite volume methods for computational fluid dynamics and similar)
Summary of Implementation Plan:
- Identify interpolation functions
- Polyhedron cell support
- vtkPolyhedron - more complex cell in that it requires explicit face representation
- vtkUnstructuredGrid - modified to support polyhedron cell, new InsertNextCell() and related methods (e.g., GetFace()).
- vtkGenericCell (and vtkUnstructuredGrid::GetCell() methods) expanded to include vtkPolyhedron
- vtkCellTypes.h has new #define VTK_POLYHEDRON
- Implement cool related interpolation functions & filters
- vtkProbePolyhedron - probe the region (interior, surface, exterior) around a polyhedral mesh for data values.
- vtkDeformPointSet - use MVC to deform any vtkPointSet using control mesh
- vtkExtractPolyhedralMesh - for debugging, convert 3D cells to vtkPolyhedron
- Would like to implement some VTK widgets to manipulate meshes
- vtkPancakeWidget (local surface deformation)
- vtkControlMeshWidget (for global deformation of geometry)
- VTK File formats and IO
- XML formats
- Legacy formats
- Critical filters /functionality
- Geometry Filter - should work once vtkCell::GetCellNeighbors() is implemented
- Contouring - some work required
- Clipping - serious work required
- Search (vtkDataSet::FindCell() and FindPoint()) - should work once evaluation functions are implemented
- Impact on previous code
- Previous vtkClipDataSet can now produce polyhedron as output, is this desirable?
- vtkPolygon basis functions: replace silly 1/r^2 with the MVC 2D equivalent
- Working on core functionality which should be done by mid 2010. Completion of all work depends on funding, schedule and customer support.
- Will Schroeder (will.schroeder at kitware.com)
- Hua Yang (hua.yang at kitware.com)