Difference between revisions of "VTK/ARB/Meetings/July 2010"

From KitwarePublic
< VTK‎ | ARB‎ | Meetings
Jump to navigationJump to search
Line 12: Line 12:


==Notes==
==Notes==
* Berk: Move to git - New workflow discussion
** Relatively smooth transition
** Have been doing a linear history with rebase
** Multiple integration branches (master and next)
** next - like previous CVS head, not as stable, development happens here
** master - always stable, only merge tested changes, tag master to do release
** Goal is for both next and master green
** Will need to be some education about topic branches
** Staging repository for VTK coming online
** Need to make sure things don't linger in next
** Make staging a requirement? Would like this in the future
** Dashboard for topic branches? Not the hardware resources
** Have tutorials on Git at conferences
* Berk: VTK 6.0 timing
** Next release will be Sept-Oct, may or may not be 6.0
** Synchronizing VTK/ParaView releases on 6-month release cycle
* Berk/Jeff: Wrapping changes
** Perhaps add contract-based documentation that would exclude some set/get from testing
** Integration with ITK wrapping?
* All: Library reorganization
** Allow people to extract smaller subsets of VTK to use in their projects
** Look into Qt PRL
** Maybe look at separating into separate Git repositories, superbuild of VTK
** Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
* Bill: [[VTK/Examples|Wiki Examples]] update
** Automatically scrapes the wiki to get example code and test with a Gitorious repository
* Stephane: Multi-core, hybrid working group
** Claudio has worked on parallel pipeline
** There are other ways that are not compatible with this
** Aims to have no conflicts between each other, collaborate if possible, could be brought to the ARB when decisions need to be made
** Have discussion in ARB on high level strategy and then open to vtk-developers / wiki / etc.
** Possibly have a shared topic branch or repo for this type of work
** Work on setting goals at a special ARB meeting
* Meet more frequently, have next meeting in 1 month


==Action Items==
==Action Items==
* Stephane - Set up wiki page for sharing thoughts on multi-core architecture in VTK
* Bill - Announce new features of VTK examples to VTK list and organize writing a VTK Journal / Source article
* Will - Talk to ITK guys about what's going on with wrapping
* Berk - Organize/clean Git wiki pages and send pointers ARB/VTK lists


==Next Time==
==Next Time==
* Have an ARB summit? Meet at conference a day early?
* Special meeting for multi-core discussion
* Berk - VTK release and backward compatibility
* Brian - Introspection support

Revision as of 14:47, 13 July 2010

Agenda

  • Berk: Move to git - New workflow discussion
  • Berk: VTK 6.0 timing
  • Berk/Jeff: Wrapping changes
    • Integration with ITK wrapping?
  • All: Library reorganization
    • Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
  • Bill: Wiki Examples update
  • Stephane: Multi-core, hybrid working group
  • Brian: Introspection support

Notes

  • Berk: Move to git - New workflow discussion
    • Relatively smooth transition
    • Have been doing a linear history with rebase
    • Multiple integration branches (master and next)
    • next - like previous CVS head, not as stable, development happens here
    • master - always stable, only merge tested changes, tag master to do release
    • Goal is for both next and master green
    • Will need to be some education about topic branches
    • Staging repository for VTK coming online
    • Need to make sure things don't linger in next
    • Make staging a requirement? Would like this in the future
    • Dashboard for topic branches? Not the hardware resources
    • Have tutorials on Git at conferences
  • Berk: VTK 6.0 timing
    • Next release will be Sept-Oct, may or may not be 6.0
    • Synchronizing VTK/ParaView releases on 6-month release cycle
  • Berk/Jeff: Wrapping changes
    • Perhaps add contract-based documentation that would exclude some set/get from testing
    • Integration with ITK wrapping?
  • All: Library reorganization
    • Allow people to extract smaller subsets of VTK to use in their projects
    • Look into Qt PRL
    • Maybe look at separating into separate Git repositories, superbuild of VTK
    • Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
  • Bill: Wiki Examples update
    • Automatically scrapes the wiki to get example code and test with a Gitorious repository
  • Stephane: Multi-core, hybrid working group
    • Claudio has worked on parallel pipeline
    • There are other ways that are not compatible with this
    • Aims to have no conflicts between each other, collaborate if possible, could be brought to the ARB when decisions need to be made
    • Have discussion in ARB on high level strategy and then open to vtk-developers / wiki / etc.
    • Possibly have a shared topic branch or repo for this type of work
    • Work on setting goals at a special ARB meeting
  • Meet more frequently, have next meeting in 1 month

Action Items

  • Stephane - Set up wiki page for sharing thoughts on multi-core architecture in VTK
  • Bill - Announce new features of VTK examples to VTK list and organize writing a VTK Journal / Source article
  • Will - Talk to ITK guys about what's going on with wrapping
  • Berk - Organize/clean Git wiki pages and send pointers ARB/VTK lists

Next Time

  • Have an ARB summit? Meet at conference a day early?
  • Special meeting for multi-core discussion
  • Berk - VTK release and backward compatibility
  • Brian - Introspection support