Difference between revisions of "VTK/ARB/Meetings/April 2010"

From KitwarePublic
< VTK‎ | ARB‎ | Meetings
Jump to navigationJump to search
(Created page with '==Agenda== * Jeff: Review action items from last meeting. ** Kitware will continue work on move to git. ** Bill will investigate the organization of examples/tutorials into VTK …')
 
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 12: Line 12:


==Notes==
==Notes==
* std:: works with no issues on supported platforms.
* VTK 6? Next version. vtkNew, everything changed to std::, polyhedral support.
* Git
** We now have a clean git repository.
** Set up a prototype repo for people to play around with.
** Workflow idea: multiple published branches that represent different things
*** Latest maintained release
*** Master - Stable at all times
*** Development - Expose things that you are working on to the world. Tested rigorously by dashboard
** Brad will write workflow document.
** Don't put too many restrictions in place or features will not get into the repository.
** Gitorious will allow users to create repositories, will allow people to have VTK as a submodule.
* Wrapping
** Make clearer distinction between what is wrapped and not wrapped.
** ITK v4 may have funds for wrapping; can we modernize and unify ITK and VTK wrapping?
** Get rid of //BTX, //ETX and just silently ignore unrecognized types?
* Scope of VTK


==Action Items==
==Action Items==
* Kitware will keep working on git repository, Brad will communicate to VTK community.
* Berk will be involved in ITK wrapping discussions.


==Next Time==
==Next Time==
* Iterators?
* All: Discussion on the scope of VTK
** Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
** Titan (VTK + informatics) and it's new repository could test out some ideas.
* Cleaning up dependencies between libraries.

Latest revision as of 19:04, 1 April 2010

Agenda

  • Jeff: Review action items from last meeting.
    • Kitware will continue work on move to git.
    • Bill will investigate the organization of examples/tutorials into VTK or other repositories.
    • Brad King will remove the commit check of std, and Bill will test out what happens if you use it in examples.
  • Berk: Move to git and new workflow.
  • Berk/Jeff: Wrapping discussion. What exactly needs to be wrapped? Should there be well-defined properties?
  • All: Discussion on the scope of VTK
    • Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
    • Titan (VTK + informatics) and it's new repository could test out some ideas.

Notes

  • std:: works with no issues on supported platforms.
  • VTK 6? Next version. vtkNew, everything changed to std::, polyhedral support.
  • Git
    • We now have a clean git repository.
    • Set up a prototype repo for people to play around with.
    • Workflow idea: multiple published branches that represent different things
      • Latest maintained release
      • Master - Stable at all times
      • Development - Expose things that you are working on to the world. Tested rigorously by dashboard
    • Brad will write workflow document.
    • Don't put too many restrictions in place or features will not get into the repository.
    • Gitorious will allow users to create repositories, will allow people to have VTK as a submodule.
  • Wrapping
    • Make clearer distinction between what is wrapped and not wrapped.
    • ITK v4 may have funds for wrapping; can we modernize and unify ITK and VTK wrapping?
    • Get rid of //BTX, //ETX and just silently ignore unrecognized types?
  • Scope of VTK

Action Items

  • Kitware will keep working on git repository, Brad will communicate to VTK community.
  • Berk will be involved in ITK wrapping discussions.

Next Time

  • Iterators?
  • All: Discussion on the scope of VTK
    • Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
    • Titan (VTK + informatics) and it's new repository could test out some ideas.
  • Cleaning up dependencies between libraries.