[vtkusers] VTK Contouring, combining perpendicular polygons

HarryG harry.glickman at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 11 16:38:01 EST 2019

Hi ,
I’m writing a follow-up to my previous post:

I have been mostly successful in combining stencil data from the three axes,
simply using vtkImageStencilData -> Add().

My problem now is that the contours on the X and Y axes behave very
strangely with my mask generation pathway (stacked polylines ->
vtkLinearExtrusionFilter -> vtkPolyDataToImageStencil -> vtkImageStencil
combined with blank mask), while on the z-slices it seems to work perfectly.

I gather from the documentation this has something to do with the following
warning in vtkPolyDataToImageStencil: “If contours are provided, the
contours must be aligned with the Z planes. Other contour orientations are
not supported.”.

Is there some way to get around this? In my mind any algorithm that works on
the axial slices should work on the other slices, and I don’t understand why
this isn’t the case. I’ve been trying to rotate the X and Y contours so they
line up along the Z axis, but am stuck when trying to rotate the stencil
back to the proper orientation to be combined with the others.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Harry