[vtkusers] Solid Voxelization with VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 20:58:20 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:15 PM Berti Krüger <berti_krueger at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I already stumbled upon the vtkImplicitModeller, but to be honest, from
> the class documentation alone i didn't completely "get" what it is really
> doing, e.g. what is the "output" of it.

The full c++ source code is right there.  Just sayin'.

> Does it compute a distance field where the cell values of the grid contain
> the distances from the cell to the isosurface?

It computes unsigned distance.  No, it doesn't compute distance from an
isosurface: it computes the distance to the actual polygon, which is a
vectorized (not yet rasterized) object. All that remains to be done is
binarization via thresholding.

 - David