[vtkusers] Any plan to update the books?

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:48:14 EDT 2018

Andras,

All of the examples in the VTK Book have been updated and exist here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/VTKBookFigures/
Also, Andrew Maclean has provided python versions of the examples.

We also update the IO Formats file here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/VTKFileFormats/

We have a project on researchgate.net that provides updates:
https://www.researchgate.net/project/VTK-Examples

Bill

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
> Just a quick update on this guys. We would love to provide editable versions
> of both books. The challenge is that they are in old Framemaker format and
> we have not had the time to focus on finding a way to generate some form of
> editable content from them. I don't believe exporting to another format from
> Framemaker is a good option. So we have contemplating scraping the PDF for
> content and generating all new images (which Bill Lorensen did to a great
> extent). Will Schroeder has been contemplating doing a new version that is
> interactive on the Web also. If there are folks out there with concrete
> ideas on how to move forward, we would be happy to have everyone engaged in
> finding a way forward.
>
> I have some ideas of my own:
>
> * Combine contents to create one book that is a hybrid textbook / user's
> guide, more focused on teaching visualization as covered by VTK
> * Generate a separate guide with lots of examples that can be translated to
> various languages that VTK supports leveraging content from the book as well
> as VTK examples online. This could be an online thing.
>
> Best,
> -berk
>

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Andras Lasso <lasso at queensu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the VTK textbook is great and still up-to-date, except specific
>> source code examples. If it was made available in editable form then I’m
>> sure there would be volunteers to update the examples (convert Tcl to Python
>> and update according to VTK API), and maybe describe some notable core
>> changes (pipeline changes, etc).
>>

>> I have never found the VTK User’s Guide particularly suitable for a
>> printed book format. At user guide level online resources (examples, API
>> documentation, etc.) are easier to use, because you can search better, they
>> are hyperlinked, you can copy-paste, etc. Online materials are also easier
>> to keep up-to-date.
>>

>> Andras

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com