[vtkusers] How to extract a specific DICOM Tag using vtkDICOMReader

Jojobus jojotranel at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 04:35:52 EST 2018

Hello vtk(-dicom) users,

I am attempting to extract the ImagePatientPosition tag (0020,0032) from a
SPECT DICOM image using vtk-dicom library and python. However, I am
encountering some trouble to find the right combinaison between the
vtkDICOMTag and vtkDICOMReader. My written code so far is below:

directory = vtkDICOMPython.vtkDICOMDirectory()
directory.SetDirectoryName(PathDicomSPECT)
directory.Update()
readerSPECT = vtkDICOMPython.vtkDICOMReader()
readerSPECT.SetFileNames(directory.GetFileNamesForSeries(0))
readerSPECT.Update()

# No encountered troubles so far but for the next step...

TagPatientPosition=vtkDICOMPython.vtkDICOMTag(20,32)
MetaPatientPosition=vtkDICOMPython.vtkDICOMMetaData()
MetaPatientPosition.GetAttributeValue(TagPatientPosition)

#What is the right thing to code in order to be linked with readerSPECT?

How can code the vtkDICOMImageReader equivalent of GetImagePositionPatient
()  ?

Many thanks in advance !

Jonathan