[vtkusers] vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

Luca Pallozzi Lavorante lplavorante at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:12:31 EDT 2017

Hi Marco, did you experience the same problem that I reported?
 I mean, the cuts extending beyond the endpoints of the polyline used to
feed vtkPolyPlane?

I think that maybe the problem could be solved composing vtkPolyPlane with
two more planes normal to each polylne's endpoints. I also think that this
could be done using something like vtkImplicitBoolean, but I don't know
how. It is not clear to me how instances of vtkImplicitFunction should be
composed in order to remove the planes past the polyline's endpoints. I
also noticed that this "extensions" are not planar: beyond the polyline's
endpoints the planes form "waves" when looked down along the Z axis. I also
noticed this behaviour by modifying the
Interaction/Widgets/Testing/Cxx/TestPolyPlane.cxx example, where I
explicitly created and visualized a vtkPolyData from vtkCutter's output (In
this example, vtkCutter received as implicit function an instance of
vtkPolyPlane, just as I needed).

 Any kind help or explanation on this issue would be greatly welcomed.

     Thank you

         Luca