[vtkusers] vtk convert Text to ImageData, and build VTK with FreeType

Shi sjbnust at 163.com
Tue Feb 7 02:50:26 EST 2017

Hi everyone,
In my VTK project, I want to convert Text to ImageData, I found the example in the Wiki, ImageText,
but before using the class vtkFreeTypeUtilities, rebuilding the VTK with VTK_USE_SYSTEM_FREETYPE=ON is nessecery.
I tried to build VTK with VTK with VTK_USE_SYSTEM_FREETYPE=ON, after configure, the CMake shows a warning that the following 4 variables should be defined,
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2, FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build, FREETYPE_LIBRARY_DEBUG, FREETYPE_LIBRARY_RELEASE,
because in the VTK sources files, the ThirdParty tree contains the freetype library, I defined the the path of freetype in the ThirdParty tree as the first two variables. As for the last two variables, I could not find the lib file in the VTK source file, So I used the source from official site of freetype to build a freetype.lib, which is defined as the last two variables.
With these procedures, passed the configure and generate, but failed in compiling the freetype module.
Does any one know how to build VTK with Freetype? please help.