[vtkusers] Testing ITK/VTK/PV contributions with (kitware) Gitlab-CI

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Sep 8 09:14:17 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 12:36:40 +0200, Grothausmann, Roman Dr. wrote:
> Just getting to know Gitlab-CI, I am wondering whether it is possible to test
> contributions to ITK/VTK/PV with Gitlab-CI from gitlab.com or
> gitlab.kitware.com. As far as I understand, this basically needs runners, in
> this case specific to ITK/VTK/PV. Since kitware has done CI even before the use
> of gitlab, I wonder if the former testing environments are available for use
> with Gitlab-CI and if so how to use them.

We're (VTK and ParaView) using buildbot to manage our testing. The
number of settings we test across machines is hard to specify in YAML
files (machines also have different settings based on what you're
testing, e.g., load up a different compiler or Qt4 or Qt5 and the paths
they live in, etc.). We're working on improving the hardware situation
buildbot is currently in; things should be getting better over the next
few months on that front.

> For example, none of my contributions to the ITK/VTK/Midas Journals got into the
> testing phase even though marked for testing during submission. So a possibility
> to use Gitlab-CI to test the compilation and to run the project test would be
> really great, especially for continued development and testing on other OSs.
> Specifically, for e.g. testing my FacetAnalyser contribution
> (http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/951
> https://gitlab.com/romangrothausmann/FacetAnalyser) I would need a runner
> environment with PV, VTK and ITK ideally for Linux, MacOS and Windows.

ITK is using Gerrit and Jenkins, not Gitlab.

--Ben