[vtkusers] How to build and install the python wrapper properly on (rootless) MacOS 10.11

normanius juch at zhaw.ch
Mon Oct 10 17:28:05 EDT 2016

Hi all

Owing to a hint from Bernard Giroux, I was able to solve my problem.

The CMake command I am using now on MacOS 10.11. looks now like the
following one:

With the flags CMAKE_MACOSX_RPATH and CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH, I am enforcing a
fixed (hardcoded) RPATH. Now, the vtk-python binaries know exactly where to
look up the vtk-dylibs they are linking to, without that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
had to be set.

Note otool -L vtkCommonCorePython.so (as an example) still indicates the use
of RPATH, but still a fixed path is enforced.

*Question to the developers: why not making this a default setting for Mac?*

Further readings:
CMake and RPATHs
<https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_RPATH_handling#Always_full_RPATH>
rpath in Apple's dev doc