[vtkusers] Crash in vtkShaderProgram/vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon May 9 14:37:21 EDT 2016

That call stack looks fine to me. As long as it is happening in whatever
Java thread you have setup for Rendering it should be fine. Specifically
that call to CreateAWindow looks like the standard call stack for creating
a window in VTK on Windows. When that call fails to get a pixelformat it is
typically because it is called twice with the same HDC/Window. That will
return zero on windows.

Maybe somehow the same canvas (or whatever the java thing is called) is
being used when creating two RenderWindows, or creating one, destroying and
creating again. Somehow I would bet the same windows window/HDC is being
used twice for two different RenderWindows.

Ken

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:37 PM, dei <david.ei at novodynamics.com> wrote:

> I attempted to debug the unmanaged VTI C++ code. The failure occurs at
> Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx line 659:
> 659    if (!SetPixelFormat(hDC, pixelFormat, &pfd))
> 660      {
> 661      pixelFormat = 0;
> 662      }
> SetPixelFormat() is always called with pixelFormat == 44. When
> initialization succeeds, it is 44 on return. When it fails, it returns with
> pixelFormat == 0. I cannot step into SetPixelFormat() to get more details
> on
> the problem. In either case, the C++ call stack looks like this:
> >

> vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::SetupPixelFormatPaletteAndContext(HDC__
> * hDC=0x000000007201311e, unsigned long dwFlags=37, int debug=0, int
> bpp=32,
> int zbpp=32) Line 661   C++
>
> vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::CreateAWindow()
> Line 989        C++
>
> vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::WindowInitialize()
> Line 1013       C++
>
> vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::Initialize() Line
> 1028    C++
>         vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::Start()
> Line 1356
> C++
>         vtkRenderingCore-7.0.dll!vtkRenderWindow::DoStereoRender() Line
> 753     C++
>         vtkRenderingCore-7.0.dll!vtkRenderWindow::DoFDRender() Line 743 C++
>         vtkRenderingCore-7.0.dll!vtkRenderWindow::DoAARender() Line 622 C++
>         vtkRenderingCore-7.0.dll!vtkRenderWindow::Render() Line 438     C++
>         vtkRenderingOpenGL2-7.0.dll!vtkOpenGLRenderWindow::Render() Line
> 600    C++
>
> vtkRenderingCoreJava.dll!Java_vtk_vtkRenderWindow_Render_19(JNIEnv_ *
> env=0x000000004df639f8, _jobject * obj=0x00000001fb71d2b0) Line 123     C++
>
> The video cards we've tested and which exhibit the problem are
> Both video cards which we've tested and which exhibit the problem are dual
> DVI and drive 2 monitors. They are:
>
> EVGA GeForce GT 610 DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0) 01G-P3-2616-KR 1GB
> 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
>     NVidea GeForce GT 610 OpenGL 4.2, DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0)
>     Driver version: 10.18.13.6510
>     Driver date:    4/27/2016
>      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130788
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130788>
>
> EVGA GeForce GT730 2 GB DDR3
>     Driver version: 10.18.13.5582
>     Driver date:    8/26/2015
>
> RE: 5. Why should the 6.3.0 test app be performant, but the CT app not be?
> The CT app is not doing any CPU-intensive operations when I display the
> mesh.
>

> --

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.