[vtkusers] vtkProbeFilter performance.

Thomas Drake [py09tad] py09tad at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 11:19:00 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I have some data structures I need to interpolate between.

What I have is one vtkRectilinearGrid which has no values stored but has a structure defined. This is the grid I want to interpolate onto.

I then have another vtkRectilinearGrid which is almost the same as the previous as in its Y and Z structure is exactly the same but the X coordinate system is offset slightly. It also has scalar values associated with each point. The aim was to shift the grid slightly but by interpolating the values too. I do three times for Y and Z offsets too.

I'm currently using vtkProbeFilter and it works really well as the output grid and values are accurate. It completes its task on my small grid fairly quickly (>1 second for size 41x41x31) however, when I move to my main data (400x400x80) it takes around 2 minutes to interpolate each grid.

For interpolation I only care about interpolating along lines in the grid. For example the grid with the offset X coordinate system, the array [i][0][0] (0 <= i <= 41) doesn't care about the array [i][0][1] or [i][1][0] etc only those values along X.

So my question is, is there a way to either increase the speed of the probe filter by reducing its accuracy or a different tool to use instead?

Thanks,

Tom