[vtkusers] Problems with vtkClipPolyData and vtkImplicitBoolean

normanius juch at zhaw.ch
Fri Jan 8 08:36:34 EST 2016

Hi David

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. Then your original statement was right.
The one-by-one approach would solve the problem.

So, if I understand correctly, I could approximate my circular cylinders
with a hexagonal or octagonal cylinder, by simply using a vtkPlaneCollection
and use that collection to apply planar cuts one by one.

It's maybe worth going one step back here: The reason why I use 3D objects
(cylinders in my case) for cutting is that I want to apply a planar cut, but
restrict the active cut plane to a certain circular region. Think of a 3D
model of a blood vessel (I'm working on a cut tool to cut arteries). That's
why I ended up with cylinders, implicit functions and vtkClipPolyData
(before I tried vtkBooleanOperation, but had some problems there as well).
The planar cut should cut only one artery of the vessel tree and should not
affect the others. From the screenshots above, you might get the idea. I
belief that using cylinders is inapt, but I did not find a better way in
vtk. Could you sketch a better idea to this? Or is this feature already
implemented in vtk and I just missed it?

Thanks again for the input.
Norman