[vtkusers] VTK7.1: Wrong placement of labels in vtkCubeAxesActor

marcin.krotkiewski marcin.krotkiewski at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 06:36:37 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

I ran into an issue with the placement of axis tick labels. I've been
using OpenGL2 renderer since it's initial release, and I've never had
such problems before.

As a start, a unit cube axis is displayed correctly (vtk7.1_unit.png).

Screenshots using vtk7.0(.png) and vtk7.1(.png) show a surface rendered
in the two last versions of VTK. The model is centered around [0,0] in
X/Y, but the axis bounds are changed using SetX/Y/ZAxisRange. In vtk7.0
all labels are shown correctly. In 7.1 the Z labels are shown correctly,
while X labels are placed very far from the axis, and Y labels are
altogether gone.

Figure vtk7.1_autobounds.png shows the result with automatic bounds.
This time some labels on the Y axis are visible, but also in this case
all are drawn in a wrong place.

Since my code did not change, this behavior results from a difference
between the two VTK versions. Does anyone have any idea why that is?
Have I done sth. wrong, or is this a result of the new text/annotation
code in vtk7.1?

Thanks a lot !

Marcin