[vtkusers] [vtk-users] VTK6.2 VS2013+Qt5.5.0 - Linker error not able to open 'vtkCommon.lib'

Kavya Bellur Padmesh kavyabellur.4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:26:42 EDT 2015

Thank you!
The error resolved by including all the required library paths manually
under project-> properties->Linker->Additional dependencies.
However now with successful build, when try to run the .exe file getting
error as below
[image: Inline image 1]

Tried to resolve this issue as per wiki page(
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/VTK_6_Migration/Factories_now_require_defines)

As I have been porting my application to VTK6.2 have added the macros in
application header files with vtk instance.
" #include <vtkAutoInit.h> VTK_MODULE_INIT(vtkRenderingOpenGL);"

Still same error observed. Could you please correct me whether I am doing
it wrong? Else if there are any workarounds kindly let me know.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Not using cmake in your code is fine.
>
> In VTK's source, Utilities/Maintainance/WhatModules.py is a python script
> that scans code and figures out what modules(i.e. libraries) it needs. That
> should help. Otherwise you have to figure it out manually.
>
> Also, your code now has to call some initialization functions that it
> didn't have to with VTK 5. Cmake based projects that use VTK 6 do this
> automatically. See the last part of the wiki page I pointed you at for more
> details.
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Kavya Bellur Padmesh <
> kavyabellur.4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification. As I am porting the application with
>> VS2013, all the lib file names are mentioned under Project->
>> Properties->Linker->Input-> Additional dependencies.
>> Now I have to replace included 'vtkCommon.lib' with new modularised .lib
>> file for building my application.
>> The project I have been porting, is not created with cmake_lists.txt. In
>> this scenario, how will I be able to port the application?
>>
>> Kindly provide me some information.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM, David E DeMarle <
>> dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kavya,
>>>
>>> The problem you see is that VTK 5's vtkCommon.lib was split in VTK 6
>>> into vtkCommonDataModel.lib, vtkCommonColor.lib,
>>> vtkCommonComputatinalGeometry.lib, vtkCommonCore.lib,
>>> vtkCommonExecutionModel.lib, vtkCommonMath.lib, vtkCommonMisc.lib,