[vtkusers] Issue when reading unstructured grid on VTK legacy file

joaoroberto88 joaorobertojr88 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:03:42 EST 2015

Hello VTK Users,

I'm facing a problem reading a legacy VTK file that stores a
vtkUnstructuredGrid with some scalar arrays. Specifically, I'm interested on
waterSurfaceElevation array. When I open it on Paraview it displays
correctly (please see attached), but when I try to render it in my own
application a wrong result is shown (attached). Could anyone help me? I'm
using the code bellow to read and render the legacy file (available at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgm1rgne32rd0qw/output-00000001.vtk?dl=0).

std::string filename = "output-00000001.vtk";
std::string arrayName = "waterSurfaceElevation";

vtkSmartPointer<vtkGenericDataObjectReader> reader =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkGenericDataObjectReader>::New();
reader->SetFileName(filename.c_str());
reader->Update();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGrid> unstructuredGrid =
reader->GetUnstructuredGridOutput();
unstructuredGrid->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars(arrayName.c_str());

vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetMapper> mapper =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetMapper>::New();
mapper->SetInputData(unstructuredGrid);
mapper->SetScalarModeToUseCellData();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor> meshActor = vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor>::New();
meshActor->SetMapper(mapper->GetPolyDataMapper());

// All rendering stuff allocated in class constructor
renderer->AddActor(meshActor);
renderer->ResetCamera();

Thanks!
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5734867/paraview.png>