[vtkusers] [Paraview] (no subject)

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Fri Aug 7 10:16:31 EDT 2015

Hi Raphael,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 5:02 AM Schubert, Raphael <
raphael.schubert at iwm.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> The way I understand the file format specification it should be illegal to
> define a FIELD dataset in addition to, e.g, STRUCTURED_POINTS, as I can
> find it neither explicitly allowed (there is only mention of one dataset
> per file) nor presented in an example. It therefore seems like an
> accidental feature in vtk that I can actually read back the produced files.

A FIELD dataset is a way to specify data without topological or geometrical
structure. One can also define FIELD arrays after CELL_DATA or POINT_DATA
for a dataset. Look at the first example on page 7. In the CELL_DATA
section there is a field arrays.