[vtkusers] Will VTK 6.3 support Visual Studio 2015?

Niels Dekker - address until 2018 niels_dekker_address_until_2018 at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 5 13:12:37 EDT 2015

Thanks, Ben! I reproduced your internal compiler error! Moreover, I
still had the ICE after removing the VTK library dependencies and
reducing the code to just the following few lines:

   //////////////////////////////////////////////////
   // Test.cxx
   // Originally based upon IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightReader.cxx,
   // but without #include's, and without any library dependency.

   struct vtkIdList  // Simplified version.
   {
     int GetId(const int i) { return this->Ids[i]; };
     int *Ids;
   };

   void ReadVectorsPerElement(int);

   void ReadVariableFiles(vtkIdList* numStepsList)
   {
     int timeStepInFile = 0;
     int numSteps = 1;

     for (int j = 1; j < 13; j++)
     {
       numSteps += numStepsList->GetId(j);

       if (numSteps > 0)
       {
         timeStepInFile -= numStepsList->GetId(j);
       }
     }
     ReadVectorsPerElement(timeStepInFile);
   }

   //////////////////////////////////////////////////

Command-line output:

   G:\>cl Test.cxx /O2
   Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.23026 for x86

   Test.cxx
   g:\test.cxx(16) : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred
in the compiler.
   (compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 246)
    To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the
program near the locations listed above.
   Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more
information

   INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\cl.exe'
     Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
     Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more
information

I'm considering to report this to Microsoft, or did you do so already?
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Kind regards, Niels