[vtkusers] Computing pathlines using vtkPParticlePathFilter

sujin sujin at cs.utah.edu
Wed Mar 26 03:26:58 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am new to vtk. I am developing a program to compute pathlines on a 3D
time varying velocity data set. I am using the vtkPParticlePathFilter
class for this. I am using the parallel version as the dataset is quite
big.

My implementation is based on the example provided in:
Filters/ParallelFlowPaths/Testing/Cxx/TestPParticleTracers.cxx. I have
changed TestTimeSource::RequestData to read the required data from the
disk. I have made other changes to provide the proper extents, time
steps, etc.

When I run the code, I am getting quite a few errors of the following
type:
"Warning: In VTK-6.1.0/Filters/FlowPaths/vtkParticleTracerBase.cxx, line
1152
vtkPParticlePathFilter (0x9085f0): the particle should have been added"

I am not quite sure what this error means. Some of the generated
pathlines have fewer points than the number of time steps. Also, the
number of pathlines being generated is more than the number of source
points I provide.

Could someone please advise me on what this error means? Please let me
know if you need more details about my code. I am using VTK version
6.1.0.

Thanks
Sujin