[vtkusers] invalid drawable ; Mac OSX Mavericks and vtk 6.1

Totte Karlsson tottek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:03:55 EDT 2014

Hello,
I have some vtk code that works fine under windows and linux. I have tried
to port this code to the Mac. Originally I used vtk 5.10 and the first
problem I detected was a 'invalid drawable' error occurring.

Googling around, many people have observed the 'invalid drawable' problem. I
thought it would be a problem fixed in vtk 6.1, so I updated my code to use
6.1. However, I now see the problem is still present in 6.1.

I have code that allow the user to do some window interaction, and press
'e', for exit, and then, 'restart' the interaction mode. This seem to
trigger the 'invalid drawable' error.

For me this is a show stopper and I have not yet seen any solution to this
problem.

There are suggestions on the vtk wiki to 'restructure the code' to 'make the
window visible' prior to rendering.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/OpenGL_Errors) . But there is no explanation on
that page what that means? Anyone knowing?

The other two bullets on that page are to no help either I am afraid. I
can't ignore the error by the cmake variable. There seem not to be any need
to detect the 'invalid drawable' condition, since I don't know what to do at
that point to make it valid.

What seem to be needed is to create a state of 'valid drawable'. Question is
how to do that.

Any help appreciated. I suppose this must bite many mac people.

tk