[vtkusers] slow graphics performance on mac os x 10.8 (mountain lion)

O'Shea, James james.oshea at albint.com
Thu Mar 21 11:10:07 EDT 2013

I wrote a simple program to load and view a ply file format model.  I recently tried compiling and running it on a new iMac running mountain lion (10.8.2 originally, now 10.8.3) and the graphics performance is slower than my old macbook pro laptop (running mac os x 10.7) with a slower graphics card.  I tested the same data file (ply format) on both machines, and the laptop interaction is faster despite the fact that the iMac's graphics card is newer and should be faster.  My laptop has an AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1024Mb  of memory while the iMac was outfitted with the "better" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2048Mb memory.  I also tested the identical data file on a couple different linux desktops and they all outperformed the iMac, even though the iMac offers the better graphics performance on paper.

Has anyone had any issues running VTK on the latest Mac OS X (mountain lion - 10.8)?  I also tried viewing the model using paraview and got the same results (slower on the iMac), so I don't think it is just my code.

-James