[vtkusers] CMake use either VTK 5.x or 6.0

Shawn Waldon swaldon at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jun 25 10:39:59 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I was reading over the build system migration guide
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration
and I had a question.

What if you have an application that you would like to support compilation
against either VTK 5 or 6?  How should you handle that in CMake?

Reason: I would like my application to be able to build on Ubuntu with the
version of vtk that you can get from apt-get install libvtk (Currently 5.8
and unlikely to update to 6.0 anytime soon as far as I know).  But when
building for Mac or Windows where I have to compile vtk anyway, I would
like to use the lastest version.

I also like the idea of using only a subset of the vtk libraries as
dependencies as explained in the migration guide.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Shawn Waldon