[vtkusers] Problem with vtkPolyDataMapper

Nickabilla nick.aarts01 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 04:59:47 EDT 2012

Hello guys!

I am new to VTK and also to C++ and wanted to do visualisation of a point
cloud. I have VTK set up in Visual Studio 2010 with all the project settings
correct. At least i think i do because when i run this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Math/NormalizeVector it all works
fine. However when i try to visualize a cone:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/GeometricObjects/Cone the program
gives this exception:

Unhandled exception at 0x004115ed in vtk_test.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000000.

The exception is on this line and refers to the 'mapper' object:

mapper->SetInputConnection(coneSource->GetOutputPort());

I also tried it like this and it doesn't work either:

mapper->SetInputConnection(0,coneSource->GetOutputPort(0));

I am using VTK 6.0. Does anyone have a clue to what i am doing wrong or
maybe the example is outdated?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick