[vtkusers] CompositeDataPipeline with vtkGradientFilter

Gerrick Bivins Gerrick.Bivins at halliburton.com
Tue Dec 18 08:40:18 EST 2012

Hello,
I'm having trouble debugging a pipeline that has a multiblockdataset as it's source.
The dataset has a scalar pointdata set for which I'd like to compute the gradient of.
The issue is, whenever I instantiate a vtkGradientFilter I receive the following:

ERROR: In D:\dev\research\VTK\VTK5.10.1\Filtering\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 756
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0000000000434DC0): Algorithm vtkGradientFilter(00000000249501D0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000000002652FD20)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 58525
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

This is before using it, only trying to create it. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Here is my setup:
vtkMultiBlockDataSet multiblockDataSet = vtkModel.getRoot();
String colorByScalar = "p";
vtkAssignAttribute scalarToCalculateGradient = new vtkAssignAttribute();
scalarToCalculateGradient.SetExecutive(executive);
scalarToCalculateGradient.SetInputConnection(multiblockDataSet.GetProducerPort());
scalarToCalculateGradient.Assign(colorByScalar, 0, 0);
scalarToCalculateGradient.DebugOn();
scalarToCalculateGradient.Update();

// the gradient
vtkDataSetGradient gradient = new vtkDataSetGradient();
//error window pops up!!!

Gerrick