[vtkusers] Problem with color after using vtkClipPolyData

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:18:03 EST 2012

Clipping a data set adds scalars to the data set. By default, if a
data set has scalars, then VTK mapper uses the scalars to color
the data.  Just do the following:

mapper->ScalarVisibilityOff();

Then VTK will ignore the scalars and use the vtkProperty color
instead.

 - David

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Gerrick Bivins
<Gerrick.Bivins at halliburton.com> wrote:
> I had a similar issue and ended up abandoning vtkClipPolyData and instead clipping the source with vtkClipDataSet.
> http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-July/096200.html
>
> This was a while ago and I seem to remember digging through vtkClipPolyData source to find the problem but to no avail.
> I think there is a bug but having made things work with vtkClipDataSet, I moved on.
> Gerrick

>>> plane->SetNormal(1,1,1);
>>> clipper->SetClipFunction(plane);
>>> clipper->SetValue(0.5);
>>> clipper->SetInsideOut(1);
>>> clipper->Update();
>>>
>>> vtkPolyDataMapper *mapper=vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
>>> mapper->SetInput(clipper->GetOutput());
>>> vtkActor *actor=vtkActor::New();
>>> actor->SetMapper(mapper);
>>> vtkRenderer *ren1= vtkRenderer::New();
>>> ren1->AddActor( actor );
>>> ren1->SetBackground( 0.1, 0.2, 0.4 );
>>> vtkRenderWindow *renWin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
>>> renWin->AddRenderer( ren1 );
>>> renWin->SetSize( 600, 600 );
>>> vtkRenderWindowInteractor *iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
>>> iren->SetRenderWindow(renWin);
>>> vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera *style =
>>> vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera::New();
>>> iren->SetInteractorStyle(style);
>>> iren->Initialize();