[vtkusers] VTK + OpenHaptics how can I attach OpenHaptics to the main loop

Prashanth Udupa prashanth.udupa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 07:56:24 EST 2011

Suppose that you wanted to render a cube and touch it. Also suppose
that you wanted to show a sphere as cursor. The following code snippet
should give you an idea (I have not tested the code or even written a
complete one. But the following code should give you a rough idea)

// Construct a haptics cursor
vtkSphereSource* sphere = vtkSphereSource::New();
vtkPolyDataMapper* sphereMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
vtkOpenHapticsCursorActor* cursorActor = vtkOpenHapticsCursorActor::New();

sphereMapper->SetInput(sphere->GetOutput());
cursorActor->SetMapper(sphereMapper);
cursorActor->Scale(0.1, 0.1, 0.1);

// Construct a touchable object
vtkCubeSource* cube = vtkCubeSource::New();
vtkPolyDataMapper* cubeMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
vtkOpenHapticsActor* cubeActor = vtkOpenHapticsActor::New();

cubeMapper->SetInput(cube->GetOutput());
cubeActor->SetMapper(cubeMapper);

// Construct the rendering part
vtkOpenHapticsRenderer* ren = vtkOpenHapticsRenderer::New();
ren->AddActor(cubeActor);
ren->AddActor(cursorActor);

vtkRenderWindow* renWin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
renWin->AddRenderer(ren);

/ Prashanth