[vtkusers] 24bit PNG writing

Jim Geach jimgeach at physics.mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 14 14:42:01 EST 2011

I'm using a vtkFixedPointVolumeMapper to volume render a data cube, which I want to colour with a look-up table containing 2^24 colours (presumably this is possible -- i've been using 256 element look-up tables until now).

Then I've been using RenderLargeImage / WindowToImageFilter to write a large PNG... however the output image is always 8bit per pixel. I think I can access the RGB values of the displayed image directly and then write these to a PNG myself, but I'd like to use the inbuilt ImageWriter if possible.