[vtkusers] Qt, VTK, missing .lib files

bnsteel bnsteel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:50:17 EDT 2011

-L<path> is the pathname to add to find the subsequent library files
-l<name>  is the format that the make file uses for library files

the files would show up as lib<name>.a for static lib files in the unix
flavor.  They might have a .so extension if they are shared objects.  Your
makefile would appear to be looking for *.a files.

On Windows, shared libs are .dll's and static libs are lib<name>.lib  There
is a way to use mingw g++ to generate .lib files, but the cmake build
instructions will make the VTK .lib files by default.  It took forever to
build.

If you are going to end up using dll's and your windows machine can't find
your dll.  Use the dependency walker on your dll to see if it depends on
dll's of the wrong machine type.  I have had problems with the 32 vs 64 bit
libs.  They don't play well together and you won't get an explanation of why
your dll can't be found.

I'm not using QT (yet), so I can't help any more, but good luck!