[vtkusers] Problem with vtkChartXY::SetTitle and vtkAxis::SetTitle

Andrew Wiles awiles at ndigital.com
Tue Nov 1 15:46:46 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I haven't seen a reply to this yet, so I thought I might just renew this thread.  If I don't see a reply soon, I might log it as a bug as it doesn't make sense to me, everything else works fine when using RelWithDebInfo.  I would really like to use that as running everything in Debug is pretty slow.

Cheers.
Andrew

1981-2011: Celebrating 30 Years of Innovation
Follow us on Twitter: @NDIMedResearch
Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
Research Scientist, Medical Division
NDI
103 Randall Drive
Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
Website: www.ndigital.com

--------------------
>>> "Andrew Wiles" <awiles at ndigital.com> 10/25/2011 3:23 PM >>>

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your support :).

I took the time today to rebuild my VTK and my application code using both Debug.  I then had to change my title string to use the ".toAscii()" conversion instead of the ".toStdString()" conversion for my QString objects.  Everything now works in Debug only with MSVC 2010 Express.  I still need to test the release modes.

However, things still don't work when both are RelWithDebInfo.  Maybe Marcus can enlighten when he has a chance.

Cheers.
Andrew

1981-2011: Celebrating 30 Years of Innovation
Follow us on Twitter: @NDIMedResearch
Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
Research Scientist, Medical Division
NDI
103 Randall Drive
Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2V 1C5
Telephone: +1 (519) 884-5142 ext. 314
Toll Free: +1 (877) 634-6340
Global: ++ (800) 634-634-00
Facsimile: +1 (519) 884-5184
Website: www.ndigital.com

>>> Frese Daniel Dr. <frese at heidenhain.de> 10/25/2011 1:50 AM >>>

Hi Andrew, Marcus,
I am still interested in this issue, too. Since May, when I reported a similar issue (the quoted post by Andrew), I took care to combine only Release binaries or only Debug binaries, and it worked nicely so far. And I guess this is really all a user can ask for J.
But still, a strange feeling remains. During the (admittedly quite limited time) I have been using vtk, this was the only place within the toolkit that led to trouble mixing a debug app and a release vtk lib. I am aware, that with MSVC (I still use version 2008) anything strange can happen if you mix these, but for my applications the fact remains, that everything I tried works fine with mixed debug/release stuff – except of the charts API.

Daniel