[vtkusers] Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:30:00 EDT 2011

Hi Sebastien,

Karthik has already given a couple valid reasons, e.g. timestamp
checks between the renderer and the mapper, and resources that a
mapper or property might tie to a particular OpenGL context.  There is
a third reason I can give, and that is that there aren't regression
tests (that I'm aware of, anyway) that verify that it works for the
dozens of different mapper classes in VTK.  And anything that ain't
tested might as well be broken.  A basic vtkActor/vtkPolyDataMapper
with no texture and no shaders is the only prop that I would trust to
add to more than one renderer.

 - David