[vtkusers] How to 'best' visualize meshed objects with VTK?

Petr Lorenz petr.lorenz at ieee.org
Tue Mar 29 11:45:52 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have a mesh = rectilinear grid, and objects meshed in this grid. To
each "cell" of the grid either an object is assigned, or the cell is
left empty. Now I want to visualize the non-empty cells with differently
colored cubes (cells) with a color corresponding to specific objects.

The primitive way I used for the visualization is to create a
vtkCubeSource->vtkPolyDataMapper->vtkActor pipeline for each non-empty
cell and see in this way the meshed objects. However, the number of
cells in a typical mesh is about 1.000.000 with ca. 100.000 non-empty
cells, which results in very large processing time of VTK making any
interactive usage impossible.

Does anybody have an idea how to do the visualization in a better way?
Can I maybe somehow use glyphing?

Many thanks!
Petr