[vtkusers] K-means values

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Fri Mar 18 21:52:11 EDT 2011

Hi Sara,

> Update: from the vtkKMeansStatistics reference page it sounds like
> it's necessary for the first column to be a vtkIdType array in order
> for learning to be used and the table available on the output port.

Only the first column of a table on the LEARN_PARAMETERS port needs to
be vtkIdTypeArray. In the code below, the inputData table is attached
to the INPUT_DATA port, so there's no constraint on the column type.
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the code is supposed to
accomplish; the column you create named "KMeans" is initially going to
be filled with zeros. The other column will be named
FeatureInArrayName (not "ScalarMagnitude" because your don't ever call
inputData->AddColumn on floatArray). Since all the values in the first
column are identical and both Learn and Assess are turned on, the
filter will
1. Perform Learn by randomly choosing "clusterCount" cluster centers
(since no LEARN_PARAMETERS input was set) and computing a single
iteration of k-means.
2. Perform Assess by adding 2 columns to the input table: one
vtkDoubleArray containing the squared distance to the nearest cluster
center, and one vtkIdTypeArray containing the nearest cluster center's
ID (as reported by the OUTPUT_MODEL output).
The output model kMeansStatistics->GetOutputDataObject(1)->GetBlock(0)
will report all of the cluster centers as lying on the line "KMeans"=0.
Is that what you had in mind?

	David