[vtkusers] Initializing vtkPanel fails java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: vtkId

Peter Eipert eipert at web.de
Tue Mar 8 09:04:19 EST 2011

Hi

I use vtk with java wrappings on several Platforms but on one machine I
am not able to initialize a vtkPanel.
It's a linux_x86_64 system with suse 11.2. On an other very similar
machine I don't have that problem.
The error message is:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: vtkId
         at vtk.vtkRenderWindow.VTKInit(Native Method)
         at vtk.vtkObject.<init>(vtkObject.java:96)
         at vtk.vtkWindow.<init>(vtkWindow.java:178)
         at vtk.vtkRenderWindow.<init>(vtkRenderWindow.java:642)
         at vtk.vtkPanel.<init>(vtkPanel.java:12)

I tried vtk 5.4.2 and also the latest 5.6.1 Both have that problem.
Because I guessed a version problem I tried to check the version of the
loaded vtk-libraries with vtkVersion. But the initialization of
vtkVersion fails with the same exception.
Any ideas where this error could come from?

Thanks in advance
Peter