[vtkusers] Several point clouds alignment using ICP

nuno.jf nunofernandes7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 11:30:43 EST 2011

Hi Wes,

Thank you very much for you message. My problem is that I don't know much
about ICP parameters and I don't know how to feed ICP only with the points
in the overlap region of both point clouds. Is there a basic way of doing
this?
Best regards,
Nuno

For ICP, the issue is that every point you choose for the source point set
will feed into the calculation of the metric.  If the clouds represent
different sections of the same part, and you choose points outside of the
overlap region, then the alignment will tend to increase the area of
overlap.  Since you seem to have a good initial set for the alignment, I
would use this initial guess to estimate the area of overlap and then only
choose points from the source set that lie within that region.

- Wes