[vtkusers] Several point clouds alignment using ICP

nuno.jf nunofernandes7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 07:28:34 EST 2011

Hi there,

I used ProcrustesAlignmentFilter but the problem is that the input point
clouds need to have the exact same number of points. So it doesn't work
well..If I use vtkMaskPoints  and set the maximum number of points to the
same value, I believe it might work...

At this moment I am using the following pipelin:

Read polydata1; Read polydata 2 -> vtkTransformPolyDataFilter to apply a
know transformation to polydata2 -> vtkIterativeClosestPointTransform to try
to find transformation to align polydata 2 with polydata1 ->
vtkTransformPolyDataFilter to apply the transformation given by ICP -
>vtkAppendPolyData to append both point clouds.

The problem is that using ICP I can't get a correct transformation for the
alignment, even with a high number of iterations set up...

I am thinking on getting back to ProcrustesAlignmentFilter. I am using
VTKCleanPolydata to downsample the point clouds but I don't know what
SetTolerance exactly does. I mean, I know that it changes the way the point
cloud is sub sampled, but I don't know exactly what kind of relationship it
sets between the input and the output.

So, can anyone give me some advises regarding this subject? Basically, I
just need to align 58 point clouds that have, at this moment, different
number of points.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Best regards,

Nuno