[vtkusers] Adding custom cell types

Andreas Buykx A.Buykx at tnodiana.com
Tue Mar 1 06:05:27 EST 2011

I'm studying how to add custom cell types for our application that uses VTK. My current understanding (from reviewing the vtkCell class hierarchy and vtkCellTypes.h) is that I can derive from vtkExplicitCell to implement my cell behavior. However it seems that I have to modify VTK code as well: add an enum value in vtkCellTypes.h, and possibly even modify various methods. Is this understanding correct or is there a less intrusive way to add a cell type?

Thanks for your help.
Andreas Buykx
TNO DIANA BV is a limited liability company registered in the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce as TNO DIANA BV with registered number 27252655.