[vtkusers] lack of info on vtkobject....

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Jun 17 23:22:15 EDT 2011

close but no.

This method is one of the ways that one can tell an vtkAlgorithm what array
it should operate on.

Algorithms can have multiple input ports and each one of those can actually
have multiple algorithms connected two it.

Ports are (by custom) for fundamentally distinct things, like the Input and
Source inputs to a vtkProbeFilter.

Connections on those ports are (again by custom) for fundamentally similar
things, like the multiple datasets fed into the single port of the
vtkAppendPolyData filter.

The data fed into each of those connections has a set of arrays that are
centered on the Cells another set of arrays that are centered on the Points,
and a third set of arrays which aren't centered on anything Field. This is
what field association means, the choice between the three.

Each of those are sets of arrays, and while arrays are typically named in
modern vtk usage it was not always so, so often you still see choosing a
particular array by its position in the set.

Using this method then, one can tell an algorithm that it should process the
idx'th array in the cell/point or field set of arrays on the connection'th
connection on the port'th input port. Most but not all algorithms will
respect your choice.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer