[vtkusers] SynchroGrab4D, vtk Polaris tracking

Tom Pheiffer thomas.s.pheiffer at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:03:25 EDT 2011

Hi VTK users,

I'm currently interested in creating a 3D ultrasound image volume from a
series of tracked freehand 2D images. To do this, I'm using a Polaris
Spectra with passive tracking, and an NDI target attached to the ultrasound
transducer. I stumbled upon this paper by Danielle Pace et al, describing an
open-source program called SynchroGrab4D, which appears to do everything I
want:

http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/655

I've been able to compile 3D Slicer and SynchroGrab just fine, and it runs
on "Fake" tracking and image data with no problems. However, when I try to
get it to connect to my Polaris, it cannot find the tracking system. I
haven't been able to figure out what's going on in the vtk tracking code
that is giving me trouble. Is there anyone out there that has used this
code, or any of the Atamai tracking code (much of which appears to be
written by David Gobbi)? I should mention that I'm trying to do this in a
32-bit Windows 7 environment.

Any help is appreciated,

-Tom