[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] high order vtkBoxWidget?

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 10 16:09:39 EST 2011

Hi Will,

As you have correctly guessed, I am using this widget to interactively
transform objects.
At any time the widget provides me with original (undeformed) positions of
the control points as well as the current deformation field. It can
reset/restore the control point positions and the deformation field
independently, making it suitable for constant- and non-constant reference
deformations. I thought about constraining the movement of the control
points to prevent incompatibilities, I am affraid, however, that it will
anyway not prevent the distortions in case of high order
interpolation/spline based deformations, so I do not implement it currently
(it can easily be done though). Instead, I am volume-rendering the
deformation gradient in my application to visually inspect the validity of
the deformation.

Currently the widget is independent of any interpolations - it just provides
the positions and the deformation. I do interpolations on the application
side, but integration is maybe a good idea indeed... The transform returned
by the widget (rotation, translation, scaling) is the same as that of the
vtkBoxWidget.

I am happy to clean/document what I did and submit it for a potential
inclusion to VTK, just let me know how to proceed.

Regards,
Dominik