[vtkusers] Problem with reading files

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:53:58 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Hamilton Woods <ghw at accutrol.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Boy, that took a while for me to get back to you.  I finally tried
> again, based on the information you provided.
>
>> 6. Then configure.
>> I disabled BUILD_TESTING, left BUILD_SHARED_LIBS disabled and then
>> enabled BUILD_EXAMPLES. These options are all available if both the
>> groped and advanced boxes are checked.
>
> I had chosen to enable BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.  Today I rebuilt VTK with
> BUILD_SHARED_LIBS disabled.  This allowed me to build the DumpXMLFile
> example in debug or release mode and execute it without error.
>
> Thanks immensely for your help,
> Hamilton Woods

Most likely your problem with shared libs is that you must make sure
that the .dlls that are in the path match the configuration that you
are using. The problem is that you can not safely mix Release and
Debug libraries with Visual Studio. The reason for this is the memory
allocation routines in Debug and Release are not compatible. I have
used VTK and ITK for over two years now and for all of this time I
have just avoided the issue by linking statically and not executing
the INSTALL target in the project that these generate.

John

John