[vtkusers] Beginner and his problems with rotation.

Kacper Pluta kacper.pluta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:07:13 EDT 2011

At the beginning I would like to welcome you all!

Some time ago, precisely some days ago I started to learn VTK and I
encountered a problem with rotation.  I wanna write a recursive function to
generate a tree in 3D. I generated a part of a tree, so you could see what I
mean.

Below is a pseudocode. So you can see from my point of view, and you may be
able to correct it.

I have a big problem with the setup of new children at a right angle at the
end of their root, after the restoration of the root angle, and angle of the
family to which it belongs.

NODE GenTree(NODE root, int bifurcation)
{
  if(bifurcation > 0 && root != NULL)
  {

   Restart the angle of Parent root famili if exist;
  //(root is part of the family, e.g. the left child of his Parent)

    Restart the root angle;

    //Now root agnel is set to 90 degrees

    //make new bifurcation
    Create the children;
    Set children position to lower ends of root;
    Set children origin to center of root;
    rotate the children on Z axis;

    restore root angle;
    restore Parent of root famili angle;

   //Make root famili
   root->Famili = vtkAssembly::New();
   root->Famili->AddPart(root->Left->BranchActor);
   root->Famili->AddPart(root->Right->BranchActor);

    Set Famili origin??
    rootate the root famili?
   //Now the family is at the end of the root.

    root->Left->Left = GenTree(root->Left,--bifurcation);
   //root->Left->Right = GenTree(root->Right,--bifurcation);
  }
}

OS: OpenSUSE 11.4 x86_64
VTK VERSION: 5.6.1
cmake: 2.8.3
Language: C++

--
"If you build your empire on money, it'll fall like a house of cards, if you
build it on love, you've built Taj Mahal!" - Mark Hartmaier