[vtkusers] Place image into render window buffer during rendering

Sean Larkin sean.larkin at lickenbrocktech.com
Thu Aug 11 17:44:49 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I would like to be able to render a 3D volume and grab the 2D image that
will be displayed when rendering is complete (i.e. for each frame when
rotating the volume).  I think that I can do this using
vtkWindowToImageFilter, although I'm not sure how to get the image at the
right step or event (i.e. before it gets displayed on screen in some render
window event).  Then I'd like to manipulate that data with a lookup table
and place the result back into  the buffer and then render the image to the
display.  How do I place the data back into the render window buffer for
display?  I've tried using the Z buffer, but truthfully I don't really
understand what a Z buffer is, and I couldn't get that to work.  Can anyone
help?

Thanks,

Sean