[vtkusers] Linker errors after upgrading to vtk 5.6.1

Joseph D. Wieber Jr. jdwieber at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:59:08 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I upgraded to vtk5.6.1 (using cmake) and tried to rebuild an existing Qt
based project, and now I'm getting 717 link errors.  I verified my paths
in the qmake file, and environment, are correct.  In vtk5.4 I only
needed to link against -lvtkCommon -lvtkRendering -lvtkVolumeRendering
-lQVTK.  With 5.6.1 I get a slew of warnings of the form:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libvtksys.so.5.6, needed by
/usr/lib/vtk-5.6/libvtkCommon.so, not found (try using -rpath or
-rpath-link)

followed by 717 undefined reference errors.  So, I add the unfound
library named in the to the list, but then the link error count goes
up.  It seems strange that I should be getting all these linker errors.
Any idea what could be wrong?  I'm using qmake from within the Qt
Creator IDE.  Below is my .pro file.  In the build settings I have the
variable LIBRARY_PATH=:/usr/lib/nvidia-current:/usr/lib/vtk-5.6.  I also
tried adding -L/usr/lib/vtk-5.6 to the LIBS variable, but that didn't
help either.  Could it be possible that I need to have all 36 libraries
listed to link against?  Note, in the warning above ld knows the correct
path to the vtk shared libs.

.pro file:

#-------------------------------------------------
#
# Project created by QtCreator 2011-07-10T16:15:44
#
#-------------------------------------------------

QT       += core gui

TARGET = SummerIS2011