[vtkusers] Scalars and diffuse lighting

andrew.derek.ward andrew.derek.ward at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:23:15 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to determine how lighting works in colour scalar mode.

I have an actor of colour (255,0,0) with ambient lighting set to 0.1 and
diffuse lighting set to 0.7

Without scalars, this actor looks fine, but if I enable scalars giving every
cell the same colour (255,0,0) the
diffuse lighting coefficient does not seem to have any affect.

It is as though VTK locks the diffuse lighting coefficient to 1.0 when
scalars are enabled, giving me a brighter
looking actor than my original non-scalar coloured one.

This appears to be similar to these unanswered questions:
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/1999-July/050896.html
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-October/063444.html

Any help/explanation greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew