[vtkusers] Advice with setting LUT [vtkLookupTable] for FireIce (Hot/Cold)

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:37:46 EDT 2011

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Bc. Michal Srna <michal at srna.info> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am blending CT images with SPECT (nuclear medicine) images. I have found
>> and tried some settings of vtkLookupTable (rainbow, hot...) for colormapping
>> those SPECT images, but none of them suits my needs.
>>
>> I have one example of blending output of GE SPECT/low-dose CT Imaging system
>> and it looks like that - http://goo.gl/8eDfH (third column of images). That
>> is the colormapping I am aiming for.
>>
>> I tried to find some LUTs and it seems, that the closest is the FireIce
>> (Hot/Cold) LUT, see the example here: http://goo.gl/KawPo
>>
>> I didn't find, how to set vtkLookupTable for creating LUT like that
>> (SetHueRange,...). Could someone please help me, how to create LUT for
>> colormapping like on that example (Hot/Cold)?
>>
>> My second question comes with transparency - I don't know, if it's possible
>> to colormap just bones (not black parts of image) and black parts make
>> totally transparent, so when blending it would looks like just bones were
>> colormapped?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestion!
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Michal
>>
>> --
>> S pozdravem Bc. Michal Srna
>>
>> Fotografické portfolio:
>> http://michalsrna.cz

ITK has very nice color mapping:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/SimpleOperations/ScalarToRGBColormapImageFilter

Of course it is still a pain to go back and forth between ITK and VTK,
but you could maybe write out the map you want (here's how:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Utilities/JetColormapFunctor) or
utilize what is there in some way.

David