[vtkusers] Create 3-D surface from 2-D contours of slices

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Sun Oct 24 13:32:47 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM, shengweng <shengwen.guo at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have tried the method before, but I could only display the contours, and
> could not get surface.
>  The following code you pointed out generated the PolyData explicitly, but
> the ContourWidget create the PolyData implicitly, I don't know how to check
> if the contours are stored in the PolyData correctly and there were points
> and lines, no vertex,cells in the PolyData.
>  How to incorporate the 2-D contours including points and lines with
> z-depth(slice dimension) and then convert them into effective PolyData with
> x,y,z values?

As David already mentioned, get the polydata from each contour widget as :

  rep = vtkContourRepresentation::SafeDownCast(widget->GetRepresentation())
  vtkPolyData* polydata = rep->GetContourRepresentationAsPolyData();

Then use vtkAppendPolyData to append them. The pass it onto the
vtkVoxelContoursToSurfaceFilter, taking care to set the aspect (spacing) on
the filter appropriately based on the sampling of your image / size of the
contours.