[vtkusers] Rendering performance

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:20:02 EST 2010

Hi Gib,

Even though a programmable source like that wiki example is probably the
"cleanest" way to do things, there is a simpler way to build a dataset for
vtkGlyph3D.

The vtkGlyph3D filter needs two inputs: one input for the positions of each
glyph (i.e. one point per glyph) and another input for the glyph shape (i.e.
the square that you already made).

The first input is just a list of points, you can build it as a polydata
just like you did with the squares, except that you want to use "verts" as
your cells:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints> positions = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints>::New();
vtkSmartPointer<vtkCellArray> dummycells =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkCellArray>::New();
positions->SetNumberOfPoints(npos); // number of squares
dummycells->InsertNextCell(npos); // size of dummy "verts" array
for (int ipos = 0; ipos < npos; ipos++)
  {
  positions->SetPoint(ipos, x, y, z);  // square positions set here
  dummycells->InsertCellPoint(ipos);
  }

vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> input = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::New();
input->SetPoints(positions);
input->SetVerts(dummycells);

vtkSmartPointer<vtkGlyph3D> glypher = vtkSmartPointer<vtkGlyph3D>::New();
glypher->SetInput(input);
glypher->SetSource(polygonPolyData);

Then feed the output of the glypher into the mapper, and it will
automatically draw a square at each position.  To change the positions, you
would do this:

positions->SetPoint(idx, x, y, z); // set point idx to (x,y,z)
glypher->Modified(); // tell glypher that the data has changed

Then re-render, and the squares will be at their new positions.  I have not
tested the code above, but I've done similar things in the past.

  David